Welcome to my "Amazing Grace Artists" Blog!

Here is a little corner of the world devoted to all things to do with the "Amazing Grace Artists" Faith Based Art Group on Facebook and what we have going on on there and out in the world...Perhaps I can persuade you to join us if you haven't already!

I hope to at least be able to inspire you to create something, make you think, and maybe, just maybe, show you something new now and then! Most of all, I hope to give YOU, a safe and caring place to just relax and share your special, God Given artsy gifts with others! So be sure to leave comments if you are touched by anything here, and please-share your thoughts and ideas with us all! Art is for everyone-it comes from our hearts and souls, and I think we should share it with everyone and show them how easy living an art-filled, creative life can be. Be sure to watch for free product giveaways and contests also!

Saturday, August 25, 2012

New Beginnings and Directions in my Art


 Have you ever stopped and looked really closely at your art and realized with a sick feeling that the styles and colors you were using were basically identical to everything else that you see out there? Now, I'm not saying that all the art out there is crap, I am just saying that isn't it nice when you come across a mixed media piece of art that makes you stop in your tracks, maybe take a deep breath, and cause you to really stop and LOOK AT IT!!!! And I am also saying that I want/need/desire desperately something NEW!!! A bit of background on my art career....I started out as a traditional, plain old oil painter, doing landscapes, house and people portraits, florals, the usual things traditional artists do (and do well, by the way...). I started selling my art almost immediately, much to my surprise, and ended up moving into my own line of hand painted clothing, fabric painting and decorative painting on all types of surfaces and selling my artwork through several wholesalers in Texas and Colorado...I am in many private collections, BUT>>>I have never had an art class or entered a juried show. Never appealed to me, the juried thing, because everyone has an opinion and everyone's tastes are different, and I just didn't like the idea of being "judged". I never took art classes because I was determined to work out my own style and not end up copying a painting just like my teacher...So, for better or worse, here I am...imagine my dismay when I realized my art was looking no different than anyone else out there (not to say anyone is good or bad) and I had totally lost my whole "uniqueness" that I had sworn I would hang on to at all costs. I have gotten lazy with my art and I don't like that idea at all....so, from this day forward, for better or worse, I am going to make an honest effort to be more original, fresh, unique and "ME"! Now if I can just remember what being "ME" felt like, I would be half-way there!!!


   






       





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment! I love to read what you think!